Saturday, April 17, 2010

Rough Day

It was rough for both Lydia and I. It is very hard to watch her struggle. Today has been the hardest on me. They took Lydia into surgery today to sew her up some. Instead they just changed her vacuum pack dressing. Her liver is really swollen. The doctor thought that her liver was more swollen than before. She has shed a lot of water weight but the liver isn't small enough to start sewing her up. Her body was pretty distressed after the dressing change.
Her other trouble today was that the IV team couldn't find any veins to put IV's in. Her feet have been very troublesome with IV's. The IV's keep blowing out of the vessels. They decided to change the central line in her neck from a two port line to a three port line. They said that there was going to be a little blood so I decided that because of her earlier trouble and my emotions they didn't need a grown man passing out on them. It is a lot easier to gut a deer and cut it up than see the blood of your own child. Her right lung for some reason collapsed a tiny bit at the bottom. They have been working trying to get the gunk out so that it will inflate entirely. She didn't do the best throughout the day. She has calmed down now and is ok and they are not planning on doing anything else to her today.
The doctor said that it just might be that we need a lot of patience in her healing process. That is probably why we are going through this trial so that I can learn patience. I am trying hard to learn that lesson and be a better man. I don't know how to explain my emotions and tears today. It hasn't been an easy day for me. Hopefully it is just one step back and then two, or hopefully three... steps forward. The good thing is that Janene will be here soon to come see her baby. It will be good for her to be her for just a short while. She wants so bad to see her eyes again.
Thanks for all your fasting and prays. Janene and I have felt them and they have lifted our spirits good and bad days like this.

4 comments:

  1. It just makes my heart ache to hear of Lydia's struggles. As a parent, I can't begin to imagine how you and Janene feel as you watch your precious little girl suffer. My prayers will continue on your behalf. I know you don't know me, but I love you guys and send you my warmest thoughts and most sincere prayers.

    Julia
    (LuLu's auntie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart aches for you so much Janene and Brian. I cannot even begin to imagine the heartache and emotions that flow in and out of you each and every hour. I know Father in Heaven has your hands in His... and will continue to watch over you and bless you with His love. Please let Maureen know if there is anything I can do for your family. I would be there in a moments notice. Many prayers from my heart on your behalf. I also appreciate your emotional state Brian, and know how hard it is for you to admit your emotions. That is only nataural...and it can relieve some of your pressure to let it out. It is OK. I cannot express my heart felt sorrow at this difficult time for you and Janene. I get on your post every morning to see what the latest is. I so admire your courage and ability to keep us all posted. Please send my love to your family. Fondly, Drew Menkhaus, sister of Maureen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20 steps forward lyds...at least. we love you. brian you are doing a great job. this isn't happening to make you a better man--you are already there. these are complications that happen and it's hard and it's unfair, but it's not a result of something a family member is lacking. it's great to learn all we can from our trials, and to grow from them- but don't take any blame on yourself because of them. you are a perfect daddy brian and a very patient one at that. love to you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian,
    My family all wondered how Lydia was doing tonight as I met at my parent's house. I told Todd and Amy and my Mom and Dad all that I knew. I told them that it was a rough day for you on Saturday. They all wanted me to express their greatest empathy toward you and their love. Our prayers are constantly with you, Janene, and Lydia--along with all of your other kids. I also admire you for telling us your feelings and for not beating around the bush when it comes to your emotions. You are a real human being with a very serious situation going on. Your family means a lot to us. I will hope to hear that things are going smoother next time I check in.

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)