Friday, April 30, 2010

Best Therapy Ever

Yesterday was a special day. Everyone had been trying to get a smile out of Lydia. Around 6:30 pm I think I got a small smile out of her by trying to tickle her neck. It wasn't much. I knew in my hart that she wouldn't smile until the kids came. We asked the charge nurse if our kids could come see her because it has been 3 weeks in the ICU. She gave us special permission. It was the best thing I have ever seen. She finally smiled. She did more than that. She laughed, wiggled her whole body, and shook her head back and forth. It truly was the best therapy that she has had here in the hospital. The kids stayed for an hour. We sang together Dallin and Spencer read her books. She absolutely loved every minute of seeing the kids. Everyone was crying when we sang Families Can Be Together Forever. When the children and I left Lydia cried hard. It was one of the most special family moments that we have ever had. I know that there needs to be rules but I think therapy like this can't replace anything else. It helps people heal when they are happy. As silly as it sounds, it is like the Monster's Inc. movie. Instead of scaring people to get their scream for energy they find that making people laugh is an easier way to get even more energy. I feel like the one hour she had last night will give her the energy to finish healing. She was so docile until they came. Janene said that she was able to still get her to smile and move more later last night. A smile and a laugh last a long time in a persons memory. A lot longer than a frown or grumpiness. I pray that I will never forget this special experience and that it will help me to overcome and grumpiness and frowns that want to creep onto my face.

I posted some new pictures and vidoes of Lydia smiling, laughing, and wiggling on the transplant link on the right side of the blog. Or, you can just click here on Transplant.

14 comments:

  1. I think your family got to experience a little happiness from Heaven. What a beautiful memory!

    Love
    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad the kids were able to cheer Lydia up, hopefully it will be nothing but steps forward for her from here on out.

    Love, Grandma and Grandpa Christiansen

    ReplyDelete
  3. That last picture is so beautiful!! Heaven on earth, to be sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures say more than a thousand words. How great that the kids could go see Lydia and be able to share that special time together as a family. I am sure it was great therapy for the whole family.
    I can't wait to see all of you together. I hope that it is soon. Love you all. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I bet that made everyones day, not just Lydia's. Nothing like a good laugh and happy thoughts to make you feel better. She is looking nice and pink too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was the best way I could have started my day... I LOVED the last picture with the kids surrounding Lydia and Janene looking SO happy.
    I coud not help but cry. What a sweet reunion for all of you! Your words were so special, Brian. Just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Day, Happy Day! I cried when Brian called me on his way home and told me the news. I could hardly believe it. I am so happy for all of you. It will be a wonderful memory for all of you. I can't wait to see her and hold her too. WHAT A WONDERFUL BLESSING!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got tears in my eyes reading today. I am glad that the kids were able to see Lydia. She is looking so much better. We love you and pray for yo contiunuously. Stokes Family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful!!! Totally, and completely WONDERFUL! I fully agree with you...about the Monsters Inc. thing, laughter heals faster than anything else. I am so thrilled the kids got to be with her, and very touched that they made her so happy! I truly pray this will help her, and the whole family, continue to heal and be strong!
    Love to you all!
    Lacey & Chad Williams (and family)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish they would "bend" the rules more often. I think family and love (laughter) IS the best medicine. I'm so glad that you had this experience and thanks so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precious and priceless... The most beautiful smile ever! What a wonderful blessing... memories will last forever. I love you guys.
    Aunt Drew

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me so happy...I cried...it was a happy cry, though, this time. That picture...Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so excited to check back here and see how well things are going. In spite of the little bumps and questions you can see the blessings and tender mercies. Hang tough Brian -- strengh comes in the journey, not before. You are all so amazing. You are in my prayers daily.

    Love and hugs -- Joi

    ReplyDelete
  14. perfection. we felt the same way when jonah was able to come see lu. it was what they both needed. it's so good to see lyds on the mend. we love you guys!

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)