Monday, April 12, 2010

Day 5 Post Transplant


Lydia is doing better. She is really sick but she is on the constant up. I imagine that this virus is going to cause us an extra week of being in the hospital. Everyone asks how I am doing. I think I am numb to the whole situation still. I really felt like everything that has happened to get us here at this time was meant to be. I was ready for this to happen and now I am just at what ever happens happens mercy, which of course means the Lord's will. I think it will hit me when Janene goes home and I will be floating around the hospital with out a permanent room to put my stuff in except with Lydia or the car. I hope my mental break down doesn't happen then. I pray that it won't.

Janene went to see Lydia today. It was good to see her walking and trying to eat a normal meal. She has been told that she can go home tomorrow. We still are not sure how up to that she will be. Her eating and digestive system are still catching up. She has been totally unhooked from all monitors. They took out the wound drain yesterday. That is not cool to see something bigger than the hole is come out of that same hole. She didn't like that too much. Today they took out the vampire tap that was on her neck so now I will just have to suck her blood. She still doesn't like to laugh at my jokes because it hurts too much. That doesn't stop me because, as she calls it, she is so used to laughing on the inside about my jokes. Rarely does she laugh on the outside to make it hurt her.

We are doing good. It will be hard when Janene goes home. We will see what happens. My work is going to let me work from here when I can. If Lydia stays knocked out I should be able to get a few days in if I am up to it. Work has been very supportive of us and they even gave us a cell phone to use while we are down here. That has been a big blessing. Especially since I have loved not having one for so long. Everyone should try being disconnected some time it is very peaceful.

Thank you for your prayers and fasting. It is helping I have felt your prayers bring tears to my eyes. The nightly comments have also been caused many tears to flow. They are tears in a good way.

Love, Brian

15 comments:

  1. So glad everyone is doing a little better! Baby steps are the best way to go! I am sure you hear this and read this a TON but you are all in our thoughts and prayers daily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very happy to hear that things are going better. Thanks you for the up-dates, pictures, and comments you make. You are a great family. It will be good when this is all behind. I'm happy that your work is working with you. Lots of love and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking of you guys. Give Janene a hug for me Brian. I hope to hear everyone is home and doing well soon.
    Love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brian and Janene - We read your blog daily and could not be praying harder for Baby Doll Lydia if she was one of our own kids!! You guys are one amazing family and we know that those footprints in the sand are the Savior's carrying your entire little family. Can't wait till this is all behind you and she is home pestering Parker! Love you all - Doug and Lori Blickfeldt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brian, You just made my heart sing when I read this last blog. This is such good news. Can't wait for you all to be home - safe and sound.

    Kerin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is wonderful. I appreciate being able to see Lydia from your perspective. My life has been greatly blessed having crossed paths with the Christiansen family. I pray all continues moving in a positive direction for you. Thank you for sharing!
    Nurse Angie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to hear that Lydia is doing better and pray that she continues to improve more each day. Before you know it she will be home and getting into trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brian...thanks for letting us know how you are doing, too. I have had my thoughts so filled with you and Janene and Lydia. We all love all of you so much. I've kept thinking how many times you both much have reached your breaking point over the last many months, but what can you do but dig even deeper. This whole experience can't help but change who you are, I imagine. You are all in our prayers, especially Lydia right now, but really your whole family. Even the other children must be having to dig deep to be supportive children to their parents. It's a lot to bear, and I know that the Lord will bear you up. I pray that in a measure you will not be able to feel the burden upon your backs. All our love to each of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting to hear that Janene and Lydia are continuing to improve and that Janese is well enough to go home. Our prayers are that Lydia will not be far behind. Your blog has been great to help us stay informed and have the insight to yours and the family feelings of this adventure. Know that you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.
    Dee and Twila

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brian,
    I can't imagine what you must be feeling, but I am thankful you share your insight and updates with us daily. I look forward to reading this blog in hopes that I will learn of improvements with Lydia. I surely hope this Rhino Virus will leave her soon. I admire your faith. I truly do--yours and Janene's. You have so many people who care about you and your family. I am sure it will be so hard when Janene leaves to go home---hard on her too. I was thankful to hear how great your work has been to help you out. What a blessing. I know the Lord will continue to lift you all up because He has been through it all and understands. I hope your other kids are doing well. I have been thinking of them too.
    I am so thankful Lydia is showing signs of doing a little better.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brian, I just wanted to tell you we have been praying for you and your family and we love you. Please let us know what we can do to help. Your family is such a great example to us of how to deal with difficult situations. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  12. celebrate every tiny victory for J and Lyds. If she isn't feeling up to going home, they wont kick her out. just say "i don't feel like i am ready to leave yet". you guys are in charge of you. set up shop in the picu brian, no back and forth to your car--you can get away with camping out in there. we love you guys, we continue to send prayers and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So happy to see Janene up and dressed. It makes me cringe when I read about the pain she has been in. She is so strong! Harrison wanted to make sure I said "hi" to Spence. We are all praying for you, everday! Love, The Hatch's

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to see a picture of Janene up and about and beautiful as ever! We echo all of the above sentiments and add our love and admiration for your wonderful family! You are all constantly in our thoughts, and we're cheering Lydia, Janene, and you on from afar! (Jason, I think, is afraid he'll wake up one morning and find I've made a break for Utah in the night!) Give all the kids a squeeze from us. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you, Brian for keeping us up to date. You are such are great example of faith and positive attitude to me. Prayers don't seem like enough. With all that you and your family have been through, I can't help but feel the Lord's arm are around each of you. Especially while you are trying to get some sleep. That is when He is being your watchful eye. Please give Janene a tender hug for me. She might blow away when you take her to the car to go home. So hole on tight. Each of you are so loved. When I am praying for you, I feel such a peaceful, warm feeling. I know this is all part of the big plan. Hang on tight. You are loved and prayed for daily.
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)