Thursday, April 22, 2010

Holding Even

The doctors were hoping for a hold even day. Lydia has held on decently all day from yesterdays surgery. She had trouble last night with a plugged lung. Her left lung collapsed last night because of, as the nurse put it, "buggers". They were able to clear her out and then the x-ray showed that she was better. She has had a fever all night also. There is just a lot of stress that her body seems to go through every surgery. Hopefully tomorrow she will be better and off of the paralysis medicine.
The emotional things today for me was at lunch. They have a parent lunch every Thursday for the ICU kids parents. It was hard to hear about the other families challenges with their kids. One family is going to have to move from Idaho to be close to the hospital for there new baby's medical problems. Another family was going to have to make the decision to pull the plug on their 18 year old granddaughter that has had medical challenges all her life. They lived at the hospital for 11 months once. The last thing put me over the edge. Right before I wrote this post there is a baby that was life flighted in. I went to the nutrition room for a drink. It is right across from the room that this boy is in. The whole ICU was there working hard to keep this boy alive. I could see it all through the window of the door. I couldn't help but stay there and cry for awhile like I am now. I need out of here. Our nurse said that the parents are in the room next door kneeling and praying while the doctors and nurses are literally running to get all the surgical equipment to do a surgery on this boy. I watched the doctor that did Lydia's transplant run past dressed in a suit change as fast as Superman into scrubs for the surgery and run back to the boys room. I am crying right now for this boy and his family.
Everywhere I look I see and hear of other children's problems and I know that Lydia has gone through a lot but I wouldn't trade for the hardships that the many other parents and kids down here are going through. I know that Heavenly Father gives us only things that we can handle. Obviously what Janene and I are going through is what we can handle right now. We have a long life to see what other challenges there will be. I pray that we can be strong enough to handle them.

I don't like to be in ICU. It is way too emotional.

4 comments:

  1. Bless your heart, Brian. You've had a lot to bear, but you are so right...Heavenly Father wil see you through your trials, just as he will see all of your acquaintances through their trials, just as he sees us all through our trials. He loves you, and you are strong enough to handle this...hard though it may be. So many people love you and are reaching out to you. Can't help but think of a certain familiar phrase..."This shall be but a small moment..." You know the rest. I love you and your whole family. Give Janene a hug special just from me, okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian- I have always known you to be a strong and faithful guy...but it isn't until recently, as I've read your posts and felt your faith and testimony through them, that I've truly realized how amazing you and Janene are. I admire your love for your children, and your faith in Heavenly Father. It takes a lot for a parent to say "yeah, this is hard, but they have it a lot harder, and I'm just thankful for the trails we have." You guys- your whole family- continue to amaze me day after day. I pray for you, for you to be strong and continue to feel God's love for you. I pray for Janene and Lydia- and your other children. Love to you all!
    Lacey & Chad Williams (and family)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a hard, hard place to be. we loved the little girl that died while we were there. it was even harder knowing our donor died a few rooms down from us. ashely was in 9 we were in 6. i went in that room and prayed when it was empty...i felt her close to me. be a strength to anyone and everyone you can brian. it will make you stronger. you will get through this. love to you all and to our little lyds. i'll be up for labs tomorrow and try to track you down with a treat. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to say you and your family are amazing! I live each day telling others when asked how do you do it by saying those words you just typed..."...but I wouldn't trade for the hardships that the many other parents and kids down here are going through."

    Though I have not met you, reading your posts I see your strength and faith in our Heavenly Father! He will see you through your journey in this life you live...never leaving your side! Keep your faith and know as one transplant parent to another I am praying for you and your precious Lydia and your family!

    Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery and hope you are out of there soon!

    Jennifer Wallace
    www.brookemariewallace.com

    'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)