Saturday, April 24, 2010

Consciousness

We got to the hospital yesterday at 6:30 PM. Lydia was awake and very conscious. She saw us and started to cry. She gave me the cold shoulder for a little while but then she looked at me and wanted me. She didn't seem to give Janene the cold shoulder which was good. We stayed in there as long as we could. They have to kick us out for an hour from 7-8 during shift change. We had to leave her while she was crying a little. That was hard. I know that she needs to cry and move her body so that she can get strong and heal her lungs. It is just hard to watch.
She has a fever that won't break and they don't know why. They have been culturing everything that they can to see if there is an infection or virus somewhere. They think that there might be an infection in one of her central lines, but it may be a false positive.
Janene is doing good down there so far. I pray that she has the strength to be there because she really wants to be with her baby, especially as Lydia is starting to wake up. The break yesterday was needed. Janene and I had some time to just relax yesterday and get our brains on straight.
I ask that we all say a prayer for the family of that boy I talked about the other day. They lost him that day. I don't know how the doctors and nurses do it. Our nurse said that she woke up the next morning and was having night mares about that boy, and she was just there like we were not even close by him.
Thank you all for your care. So many people have stepped in when we need it.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you come home soon.
    I love you Lydia!
    Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. After our son had his liver transplant it was hard to be in the PICU and watching not only him but other families deal with there own issues... Hang in there she will be making progress and back to her own room soon!!! It does come just hang in there and count your blessings.. Nichole

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a blessing to hear Lydia had consciousness and recognized you and Janene, Brian. I do wonder, too, why Lydia would be fevering. I hope they can find the reason why. I am so thankful you and Janene have the support you need with your other kids so that you can be at the hospital to spend time with Lydia. I had no idea what a strong guy you are Brian---and I've known you all my life. You are a giant with faith--Janene too. I think so much of you guys. I will pray for that little boy's family. I get so sad and really feel such sorrow for families who lose their little ones. God be with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine whose daughter was in the PICU for 86 days following her first open heart surgery said that the PICU is one of the hardest places to be but it is also one of the places where she has felt the spirit the strongest. Heavenly Father is watching over these little ones and their families. Hang in there. Your family especially Lydia are constantly in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)