Wednesday, April 21, 2010

All Sewn Up

Last night we got a call from the hospital. They wanted our consent to change the vacuum pack and do a partial sew up of the wound today. They said that the muscles need to start to be worked back together or it is a lot harder to get them to close all the way. This made me quite worried that today would be a hard day for Lydia.
At noon I came back from lunch and Lydia was awake. She was focusing really good on things. I got close and said hi and she looked the other way. So I went to the other side of the bed, she looked up and turned her eyes the other way again. I could tell that she was awake enough to be mad at me and she wouldn't look at me.
This was hard on me especially because yesterday, right as I was leaving her room to go home, she opened her eyes looked at me and started to cry really hard. It was torture to she her tears and whole body show that she was crying but no sound was coming out because of the ventilator. I could just hear some minoot bubbling sounds around the ventilator tube. I stayed and touched her face until she was sedated heavier and asleep again.
They took her to surgery just after noon. Her abdomen was still so big that I didn't think it was possible for her to be closed up at all. I just thought they would sew up the muscles a little bit and then put a new vacuum pack on. Instead they were able to sew her muscles up about 90% and then sew her skin all the way up. They weren't able to get the muscles sewn up 100% because of the size of the liver. This will just make it so that she has a little soft spot under her skin, which the doctor said is perfectly fine for the rest of her life. There is a possibility that she could have a stomach hernia from this soft spot. If she does it would present itself in a year or two. She already has a belly button hernia. They said that if that doesn't go away that they could fix both at the same time. We will see in a year or two. The doctor says that those are both a very minor thing and the least of our worries right now.
As long as the new pressures from sewing her up do not cause a problem this should have been the last surgery. So far all of her stats show that she is handling it ok. If she doesn't handle it then sometime early tomorrow morning they would have to open her up some again. Janene and I sure hope that doesn't happen. We were very happy and surprised to hear that they sewed her all the way up. We are praying that she can handle everything being closed up. The doctors are all happy and they feel that she is really going in a positive direction.
Thank you all for your fasting and prayers.
Love Brian and Janene


2 comments:

  1. What a milestone this is for Lydia! She has come so far and now has reached a great day. I am so thankful for the good doctors and hospital nurses that have given your sweet girl so much care over these many days. This is wonderful news to hear that she is all sewn up and her muscles can start working to help her body. What an angle baby she truly is, Brian. We also pray and hope she can handle everything being closed up. Thank you for your constant updates. I will let my family all know the latest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say the saddest thing I have ever seen in my life was when LuLu would try to cry/scream while she was on the vent. So sad to hear Lydia is going through it, too. Sending love and prayers...

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)