Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ups and Downs

Lydia did good most of the day.  Her medicine schedule got out of sync becuase of the procedure that they were going to do on her at 8:00 am, and it ended up being at 11:30.  It may have caused a major withdrawl, but I feal like the major withdrawl really came from an overzelous nurse.  I asked the tech to not take her blood pressure because she had just fallen asleep.  She said I needed to talk to the nurse about it, so I did.  Her blood pressure was high but not very high, so we agree that she would give her another thirty minutes of sleep then check her blood preasure agian.  Instead she just gave her the blood preasure medicine.  I should have stopped her but I wasn't thinking very good at that time.  The other nurse and I think that caused her blood preasure to drop too far.  She went into a panic with chills, eyes not dialating, and cold hands and feet.  It took some work for a good 45 minutes to an hour to get her to come out of it.  It has been really hard when different nurses take over.  I know that they all have to live life and go home but they all seem to be on a different page about there patients when they come the first time.  It seems like we have to retrain them on Lydia's likes, dislikes, medicines, stats, etc.  I am trying not to be negative because we are all different and trying to do the best that we can, but it is unfortunate when things like what happened tonight happen.
I came home tonight.  Janene will spend some time with Lydia.  Lydia is at that stage where she is bored and needs more attention.  I decided that I need to get back to work and that Janene and others might have to take over more.  I am going to go back to work tomorrow.  It willl be a good change.  Hopefully it will help with my emotions.  I know I have to do it some time so I might as well do it now.  Wish me luck.

Brian

6 comments:

  1. Brian, Good luck at work. Maybe that will be some therapy that you can use to build your own endurance. You have a great family support system, and you have given more than 110% to Lydia, Janene and the rest of the family during such a trying time. I believe everyone has marveled at both you and Janene for the way you have worked together during the past few weeks and been able to keep everything in perspective. You are both very special individuals and are loved by many. It seems that Lydia has made some major strides the past few days, sometimes dispite what the medical people do. By and large they are great people, but not infalible. Follow your own instincts and the promptings of the Lord. He will continue to bless your family. Hopefully we will see you all together soon. Our prayers continue on your behalf. Love, Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember you can always ask not to have some nurses. I guess a perk for US health care. There have been a couple that have been rough with our girl, or that would be constantly in and out so neither of us got rest. Often we know what is best for our little ones despite not having medial backgrounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry she had some struggles :(, but I am also equally as glad they were able to stable out and be fixed! Life is about finding a balance, and if your feeling to need to go back to work- I say give it a shot. I can't believe how quickly she is healing, what an amazing girl! How could she not be though- with such an amazing family as her examples!! Love to you all!
    Lacey & Chad Williams (and family)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Douglas. I think I would ask for the same nurses (when they are working). Training a new one isn't an option (at least this stage of the game). I am glad that Lya's improving and that you are going back to work. I think that will help you a lot. Hang in there and know that we love and care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh, that is frustrating, Brian. As a parent, you have the first say! And your instincts told you to have them hold off on giving her the meds...too bad that nurse went ahead anyway. Poor Lydia--to have to go into panic and chills when it may have been avoided. It is totally ok to hear you vent about it, Brian. I am really hoping your time back at work goes as smoothly as possible. That is a big change, but I'm sure you're ready at the same time. I do wish you luck!

    Janene--thank you so much for the note in the mail! I was so surprised to receive it & it made me feel so good!! You are so thoughtful---always reaching out to others.
    I am so thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that happened! I know how use to the nurses we get, I am still trying to get use to the nurses here in the PICU. I am glad harmonee isn't awake or she would definitly give her opinion on the matter. But hopefully soon we will be getting use to the nurses in the ICS. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Farrah

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)