Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Out of Small and Simple Things Shall Great Things Come to Pass

Lydia has made great strides in her physical therapy in the past two days. She has pretty much been sedentary for nearly 5 weeks so most of her muscles need to be retrained. On Sunday morning she was able to sit up if someone help support her back, by Sunday afternoon she was able to sit without someone supporting her back. When the physical therapist came in on Monday morning, she was trying to get Lydia to roll over to her tummy and to stand and put some weight on her legs. Lydia was not much interested in doing either at the time. After the therapist left, I was able to get her to put some weight on her legs for a few seconds and about an hour later, she began rolling all over the crib (like she used to do) to find the position she wanted to be in for her nap. That was so good to see. She has never been much interested in being on her legs so this skill will probably be longer in coming, but I'm sure will come with time and effort.

As of yesterday, the two hold ups on her coming home are her need for oxygen and elevated blood pressure. Hopefully those two things will be brought under control soon so she can go home. The doctors are adjusting medications in an effort to remedy those problems and are hoping that she can go home by Wednesday.

I saw a much friendlier Lydia on my stay with her this time. She was giving high fives and knuckles to all of the doctors and nurses that came into the room. She was waving bye bye to them as they left the room and in some cases she was waving bye bye when they were doing things to her that she did not like--I think that was her way of saying, I don't like what you are doing and it's time for you to leave!!

Janene is with her now and hopefully more small and simple things are taking place so that great things can take place soon (like her coming home and being able to be with all of her family, being able to learn to crawl, walk, and eat, and having a body that works well in all ways). What a precious child she is.

Thank you again to everyone for your love, concern, and prayers for Lydia and the rest of the family.

Grandma Christiansen

2 comments:

  1. What a little miracle she is!!! Children amaze me! Always have, always will...their ability to heal, to grow, to change, to adapt, to love, and to forgive! Lydia astounds me! I will continue to pray for a quick recovery for her, and for her to be able to sooner (rather than later) re-unit with her family at home!! Go Lyds!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not had internet access for a few days now and I have sorely missed checking in on Lydia! I am so glad to read the updates and find out how she's doing. I was a little worried to see her inscision but I was also relieved when I read it was going to be ok and that was the least of the worries right now. How nice for Grandma Linda Clead to come stay with Lydia (even on Mother's Day). Wow! How special. I am certainly hoping little Lyds will get to come home this week. Hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Janene!
    I wanted to tell you that I went to my parent's ward (also Linda and Clead's) and my Dad spoke. He mentioned sweet Lydia in his talk and how you, Janene, have been such a devoted mother to Lydia--giving up part of your liver to her and being her constant source of love and joy. My Dad asked the congregation to continue to pray for Lydia. It brought tears to my eyes and many others. We all love you guys and my heart goes out to you. I am so thankful for how well she is doing now. :)

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)