Friday, October 29, 2010

Lydia back in the hospital

Dear friends and family,
I want you to know how much we have appreciated all your concern and help over the past two years in behalf of Lydia and Brian and Janene. We need your prayers again.
We have been so happy because Lydia has been doing so well, but she has another bump to get over in her journey through life.
Last week Janene noticed blood in her stool. They cultured it and found the bacteria she is susceptible to in her GI tract. Treatment was to be simple, antibiotics from home. But by Friday, Janene expressed concern that she wasn't getting better, but seemed to be getting worse. Brian was deer hunting with his brothers in law and gone for the weekend so Janene went to stay with her sister in Springville. Lydia developed a fever and was very uncomfortable so Janene brought her home on Sunday and called the doctor Monday morning. They said to bring her down and she would be admitted. As Janene's Mom my heart ached as she cried, all the emotions were triggered from past experiences and she dreaded going back to the hospital. We all felt though that Lydia was going in much stronger this time and that with some hydration and antibiotics she would be back on the road in no time.
After examination, a scan was taken and a diagnosis of Post Transplant Lymphomaproliferarose (PTLD). Some patients after transplant may develop this if exposed to the Ebstien Bar virus. It affects the lymphocites and they start growing very fast. Lydia's liver, speen, and stomach were very inlarged and her platelettes very low because of the disorder. Because it can lead to lymphoma, they did a bone marrow on Wednesday. The preliminary results have shown no cancer, but they will treat her with chemo to prevent more progress of the disease hopefully keep her from developing cancer. Becasuse her immune system is so compromised becasue of the anti rejection meds she has been on, they have had to stop those to help her body to fight this new disease. It is a balancing act to fight this and to keep her body from rejecting her liver.
So once again Lydia is fighting for her life. We are at a loss for words, yet hopeful and we know she is in the Lord's hands. He has blessed her and her family in so many ways and we are grateful for His blessings. You all have been part of those many blessings and we are grateful to you.
Lynn and I are so happy to have Janene and Brian staying with us at this time. I have loved being close to them and having the children come upstairs to hang out with us and to get to see them each day. It's been wonderful to see Lydia learning so much every day. She is so proud that she can stand by herself now. She is a happy child always making us laugh. We love her so much it breaks our hearts to see her suffer some more.
I will try to keep you all posted on any updates we get. Janene and Brian have their hands full right now trying to get their house finished, and taking care of the kids. Although I'm sure you will hear from them sometimes too.

12 comments:

  1. Maureen,
    They are all in our prayers as is your entire family! I hope all goes well in the coming months. Your family is one of the strongest families I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maureen, Thank you for the update on Lydia. It was so well written to help all of know of the stresses this family is once again dealing with. Our prayers are abundant, our love is sincere, and peace if offered to all of you. Lydia, please get well fast. Your beautiful little face radiates happiness. I hope you can feel happy often. Love you so much, Aunt Drew

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for letting us know what is going on with Lydia. I just had the chance to see Janene and all the kids a couple of weeks ago at the Huntsville Park and I was so happy to see her and her kids. This breaks my heart to know of the most recent news. I am so full of sorrow to hear Lydia is back in the hospital again. My prayers are strong in her behalf. We love the Christiansens!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janene & Brian, my heart is breaking for you. We're praying for all of you and for Lydia's health and strength. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOOOOOOO!!!! I am so sad to hear that Lydia and your family has to endure another bump in the road to Lydia's health. You will all be in our prayers.
    The Lais

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a heartache. Our faith and prayers go out for your family, and especially Lydia. She has been given a very special family to see her through her mortal journey. Evidence of Heavenly Father's love for Lydia right there. I can't imagine the hardship this must be for all of you. Stay strong, family. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dear sweet family!!! My heart is aching for you! And I have to admit- I shed more than a tear or two while reading this! You are most certainly in our families prayers, and will continue to be there! I am sending you my hope, my faith, and my love...hopefully...it will help sustain you in this time of difficulty! I love you guys!
    Love to you all!
    Lacey (and the Williams Family)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Maureen! You are so wonderful! We are so heart broken that this has happened to sweet Lydia! I wish I could hug every one of you through the computer! I love you guys so much! I will do all I can and pray all I can for each one of you! Please know that I think of you every day! Lydia...dear sweet girl! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Paige is in the ics so if you ever need anything please let me know. i would love to help any way i can. be strong and know there are many prayers coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maureen, is there any news on Lydia? I don't want to call and bother Janene & Brian. We're praying for Lydia!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, i can't believe this. all us liver families worst nightmare. we just spent the day in the er with a stomach bug but weren't admitted. our nurse mentioned they had a liver child in a few days ago, so it took a minuted to figure out who from blogs. i am SO sorry. i wish there was something we could do-- well maybe there is. what stage is the house in? whats left to do? james would be happy to help and round up a few of his guys too. have brian give him a call 8016340206 (seriously) lots and lots of liver love. xoxo lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful Lydia...I'm sad to hear that you have to jump back into warrior mode. You have so many prayers being offered on your behalf. Sending lots of love...

    Julia
    (LuLu's Auntie)

    ReplyDelete


chillin' and grubbin'

Spenc and Lydia enjoying some brocolli (at least the taste of it for Lydia since she just sucks out the flavor and spits it out)